Saturday, September 11, 2010

Smallmouth on a 2 Weight

I have not made it out fishing as much as I would like this year.  There are a lot of excuses, all bad ones.  I did, however, make it out last week for a couple hours.  I grabbed my 2 weight and went to the nearby stream to try to catch a few Smallmouth.  As in the previous post, I was not expecting anything of size.  And that is pretty much what I got.  No Smallmouth, a few Sunfish, and a couple Rock Bass.

As I was fishing back towards the truck I decided to put on a weighted fly and drop it to the bottom.  I was a little surprised I was able to throw it as well as I did using the 2 weight.  Two casts, two taps.  On the third cast I had a solid hit and set the hook.  Fish on.


With the light rod it took about 10 minutes to get the fish in.  Several times he would turn and run, and there was not much that could be done.  Eventually I forced him to the shore.  A beautiful Smallmouth.  It was definitely worth the trip.


And if you haven't caught a Smallmouth on a very light fly rod, I highly recommend it...

1 comment:

Kev2380 said...

Thanks for the comment on my blog. I have been looking pretty hard at 2wts lately. I want an ultra light fly rod for trout. You hear all the time how hard smallies fight and that they can test your 5wt. Unfortunately I never catch one large enough to test that theory. A 2wt is probably perfect for the common 10inch monsters I catch.