Many may remember this post from last year. The breaking of the Z-Axis. I recently realized that I had not posted when the rod was repaired. Yes, it has been repaired and is once again in my arsenal.
After it broke I gathered up the pieces and sent them in to Sage (along with a check for $50). They received it, and a few weeks later I received the parts back with a new tip section. As it was a rod I had built myself, they match it with a new tip for you to wrap. I really liked the guides I had on that rod, so I decided to salvage them from the broken pieces.
It is fairly simple to remove the guides from a rod. Just take a razor and carefully slice through the finish and threads close to the blank. Once you have cut all the way through you can easily pull the remaining thread and finish off the blank. If you were going to re-finish the blank at this point you would give it a good cleaning and it would be ready to wrap.
I have not made it out fishing as much as I would like this year. There are a lot of excuses, all bad ones. I did, however, make it out last week for a couple hours. I grabbed my 2 weight and went to the nearby stream to try to catch a few Smallmouth. As in the previous post, I was not expecting anything of size. And that is pretty much what I got. No Smallmouth, a few Sunfish, and a couple Rock Bass.
As I was fishing back towards the truck I decided to put on a weighted fly and drop it to the bottom. I was a little surprised I was able to throw it as well as I did using the 2 weight. Two casts, two taps. On the third cast I had a solid hit and set the hook. Fish on.
With the light rod it took about 10 minutes to get the fish in. Several times he would turn and run, and there was not much that could be done. Eventually I forced him to the shore. A beautiful Smallmouth. It was definitely worth the trip.
And if you haven't caught a Smallmouth on a very light fly rod, I highly recommend it...