Tuesday, January 19, 2010

January Fish

There has been a lack of fishing posts recently on this blog. Some say I have been lacking motivation to document my trips. Some say I have not been out fishing enough. Regardless of the theory you subscribe to, it can not hurt to fish more.

Today was all planned out. We were going to hit the Cumberland River below Wolf Creek Dam. The weather was going to be nice. According to forecasts no generation would be taking place during the day. Conditions were going to be perfect. After all, conditions were perfect Saturday, Sunday, and Monday. The web site said it would be the same today. The internet would not lie to me, would it?

Today's topic for discussion: Has the internet ever lied to you?

As we started traveling this morning I checked the iPhone for water conditions. Between 9:00pm last night and 7:30am this morning the water flow went from no generators to two generators. As a result the river was much, much too high to wade. And the generation was going to continue throughout the day.

We went to the river anyhow to check out some of the locations, and to find new ones. We made a few casts, but did not even bother to put on the waders. As expected, no fish were caught.

We got back in the truck and headed North to the War Fork. It is a small stream that only has trout due to stocking. But in January you take what you can. A few hours on the water and still no fish. It was looking like a skunk as I fished back to the truck. Finally, in sight of the vehicle, I made one last cast. As I mended the line there was a hit. I set the hook and brought a small Rainbow Trout to hand.


It may not look like much, but it was the best looking fish I saw all day.

1 comment:

Kev2380 said...

Hey, you got a trout already in 2010. Usually I don't catch anything in Jan and Feb.