Saturday, May 23, 2009

Sage Z-Axis - Rest in Peace

Anyone who reads this blog realizes that I am an avid fly fisherman. And anyone who has followed the blog for very long probably remembers the rod build I documented last year. For those that do not, the links are on the front page of the blog.

The rod was a Sage Z-Axis, 8 weight, 4 piece. I built it after returning from a Redfish trip in Savannah, Georgia. I realized that for Saltwater fishing I needed a faster rod to cast greater distances in the wind. The Z-Axis was just the rod. And the build turned out great. It quickly became my favorite fly rod.


While I have not had a chance to try it out in Saltwater, it has been with me on many Bass outings over the last year. I have caught a lot of fish on that rod.


This morning I was fishing on the pond. Shortly after getting the pontoon in the water this Bluegill was on. Little did I know it would be the last fish for the Z-Axis.

A few casts later I was lifting the line off the water. The fly caught in some weeds. Normally this would not be a problem. Normally. This time I heard the snap. The snap that all fly fishermen dread. The last time I heard that sound was on the South Fork of the Snake River when Dad's rod broke.

I looked down and the rod had snapped. About 11 inches of the tip section was lying in the water. With a sinking feeling in my gut I headed in to get my other 8 weight to finish out the day.


Rest in Peace Z-Axis.

1 comment:

modernhillbilly said...

I feel your pain. I'm sure you remember the loss of my favorite 2wt last year. But hey, I guess this means you get to build a new rod!