Monday, July 14, 2008

When Worlds Collide

I have previously penned my hostility towards the pink hue. See Plethora of Pink for details of this aversion. However, I have recently found myself in a quandary. As anyone who has read this blog may surmise, I have a passion for fishing. Recently my opposition to pink and my passion for fishing collided.

Rachael is in training to become my fishing buddy. Sure, right now we only make it out for an hour or so at a time. And I must tolerate her (gasp) pink and purple princess fishing pole. But I have high hopes that soon she will move on to a fly rod and discover the true joy that is to be found on the water. Rachael has also made it clear that her preferred colors are pink and purple, in that order. With this mindset she informed me that she wanted a pink fly to fish with.

I do not have a pink fly. I do not want a pink fly. I do want my little fishing buddy to be happy. Preferably happy while fishing. So I did the unthinkable. Rachael found a feather boa she uses to dress up. I cut a couple feathers off the article. No, that is not the unthinkable of which I spoke. I took the feathers and tied up some pink and purple flies.



Rachael was overjoyed with the results, and proceeded to play with them as if they were dolls. I never knew flies had such conversations! My ploy was not working.



I only had one option. I must unite the pink and purple flies with the pink and purple fishing pole. Do you remember the scene in the movie Ghostbusters cautioning us to never cross the beams? I was about to embark upon an experiment with potential catastrophic results.



Having survived the initial tying of the fly, we proceeded to fish. Much to my chagrin, the fly worked. Rachael proceeded to catch several bluegill on the fly.



No, I do not intend to add the fly to my regular rotation in my fly box. And if you ever see me on the side of the lake crouched behind a tree, pink and purple tackle box in hand, I would ask you to show me mercy by simply moving along. And please, please do not mention the pink fly I am tying on.

4 comments:

Jolayne said...

Like I told Kristen, she's "hooked". And really I don't think you mind tying those pink flies as much as you say you do.

Jolayne said...

Sorry for the misspelling on Kristin. Just used to spelling it our version.

modernhillbilly said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
modernhillbilly said...

Wait til she hangs a 5lb bass on that pink fly, we'll see how you feel about pink flies then! By the way, that pink rod looks cute in your hand in the last photo. You ought to pull that out of the truck one day when you're fishin with a buddy! Great Post!