Monday, January 21, 2008

Variegated Recollections

China is an interesting place. The trip is now complete. As with all places I have visited there have been assorted experiences to pontificate about. While visiting China I worked, I laughed, I worked, I gagged, I worked, I crashed, I worked, I flew, I worked, and in between I experienced.


I am typically not prone to excessive experimentation at home. But when abroad I attempt to take in the culture, experience the food, and enjoy the time. Here are a few miscellaneous observations that were observed on this trip.

  1. Chinese Television. I like to see what types of shows are on. In business hotels many channels are news. But there are a few local channels. I watched a Chinese infomercial for “Black Expert”. This is a hair shampoo that will restore the gray in your hair to a beautiful black sheen. At least that is what I think it does. I wonder how this compares to hair in a can?

  2. Beautiful (?) Music. From the cab driver singing along with the radio to the waitresses serenading the table with a rousing rendition of put your hands in your pockets and your pockets in your pants. And from the Chinese girl singing 70’s songs to the restaurant patrons (both of them), to the elderly woman singing while rowing the boat.

  3. Diverse Food. From Steak at Jackaroos Steakhouse to “stuff” at (Name Unpronounceable), the food is always an experience. In the end, however, it was the KFC that upset my stomach.

  4. The driving. Need I say more?

  5. The scents. What was that I smelled as I climbed the stairs in the train station? How about that lovely scent as I walked past the lake? Or the interesting odor coming from the gentleman seated next to me? I have heard that it is quite pleasant in the spring when the flowers are blooming.

  6. The co-workers. Like the one who’s baggage did not arrive the first day, so he washed his clothes himself in the bathroom. Or the one who explained to us that driving with all your windows down is the same as being in a convertible. (Okay, it was the same co-worker)

I am sure there is so much more to experience. But not to fret – I will be back again next month.

No comments: