Tuesday, January 8, 2008

"Stuff"

It is about 4:00am in China. I’m sitting (wide awake) in the hotel pondering “stuff”. What is “stuff”? Well that’s the thing – I don’t really know, and I don’t want to know.

For lunch today I had noodles with “stuff” on it. Did it taste okay? Yes. Do I know what I ate? No. Do I want to know what it is? No.

To state it simply, I am perplexed therefore I am satisfied.

For me the “stuff” phenomenon occurs mostly overseas. At home I know what things are. I am comfortable with them. I am content with that greater understanding. But overseas things are different, particularly in Asia. I cannot understand what is being said. I cannot read basic signs. That nescience on my part increases the “stuff” magnitude.

My experience is that often you are better off not knowing. At dinner I had a Coke. As I was (happily) drinking I noticed a waitress pull a glass out, look at it, rub something off the glass with her hands, then fill it and deliver it to a table. I did not need to know this. I did not want to know this. I was content prior to these events. Afterwards I had to remind myself that at least I did not know what “stuff” was wiped off the glass.

The lesson is this. When someone hands me something I just say “thank you”, bow slightly, and take my “stuff”.

2 comments:

Kristin said...

Nice use of the word "nescience."

Glad you survived more unusual Stuff!

Ryan said...

It is an example of my perspicacity.