Wednesday, January 2, 2008

Joy of Travel Planning

I'm getting ready to leave for China on Sunday. This is a business trip, and should not be a difficult thing to plan. But the stars are aligned against me. Trying to arrange travel overseas is as fun as drinking soda from a straw in your nose. (I have not had to personally try this as I learned from my sister's experimentation)

First the hotel. Simple enough, right? Just need a place to sleep for a couple weeks. Wait, I need a couple days in Shanghai, then about a week in Suzhou, then another night in Shanghai, then a night in Seoul, Korea.

But wait, there's more!! The travel agency can book the room in Shanghai and Seoul, but I need the office in Suzhou to book that hotel for me as they can get a cheaper rate.

But wait, there's more!! The vendor has decided they want to stay at a different hotel in Shanghai, and they will book the hotels for us. Now I need to cancel the original Hotel in Shanghai.

But wait, there's more!! The vendor did not get my check-in/check-out dates correct. Now I need to work with the vendor (in China) to get this straightened out. With a day's delay on all communication this is a challenge. Did I mention I leave in 4 days?

But wait, there's more!! The Suzhou office managed to obtain two reservations for me there. Oh, and neither one has the correct days. I need to work with the office in China to get this straightened out.

But wait, there's more!! The travel agency finally decided to ticket the reservation and in the interim the airlines have increased their fare. I need to re-submit my travel approval.

But wait, there's more!! In between the time my travel approval was re-submitted and the travel agency received the approval the airlines have increased the fare again. I need to re-submit my travel approval.

If all goes well I'll provide updates when I am in China. Assuming I am in a hotel with internet access. If I end up sleeping on the streets I'll provide updates when I return.

1 comment:

LARountree said...

Drinking Coke through your nose isn't that bad!! I'm sure you were referring to our youngest sibling and not your older, wiser, incredibly mature oldest sister!